In this chapter you learned about the history, geography, and culture of Southeast Asia. The Philippines, one of Southeast Asia's island countries, is unique from the rest of the region in several ways. Named after King Philip II of Spain, it spent more than 300 years as a Spanish colony. It also is the only Christian nation in Southeast AsiaŚmost of its neighbors practice Hinduism, Buddhism, and Islam. In this activity, you will learn more about the people, economy, and customs of the Philippines.
Destination Title: Asian InfoŚPhilippines
Note: Clicking on the link above will launch a new browser window.
Need help using your browser for this activity? Click here for tips.
Start at the Asian Info Web site.
- Click on Philippines in the list of countries on the left of the screen.
- Click on Economy. Read the information presented.
- Return to the Philippines' main screen, and click on and explore the links People and Languages.
- Return to the main screen once more, and explore the Customs link.
- Answer the following questions.