Chapter 1 introduces you to Geographic Information Systems (GIS), a technology used by geographers, businesses, and individuals every day. What, exactly, is GIS? More importantly, how does it affect you? In this activity, you will find the answers to those questions.
Destination Title: GIS for Everyone—GIS Basics
Note: Clicking on the link above will launch a new browser window.
Need help using your browser for this activity? Click here for tips.
Start at the GIS for Everyone—GIS Basics Web site.
- Click on What Is GIS? in the column on the left of the screen.
- Then, click on GIS Touches Our Everyday Lives. Click on Begin Movie.
- Read the information on each page and click on Next until you get to the screen that reads "GIS Touches All Our Lives, Every Day."
- Click on 6:00 A.M. and read the information that appears.
- Now click on 6:00 P.M. and read the information that appears.
Use what you have learned from the Web site to answer the following questions.