Art Basics Scavenger Hunt
Elements of Art: Shape, Form, and Space
Find the answers to the following questions regarding shape, form, and
space by clicking on the image below the question. Write your answers
on your handout or on a separate sheet of paper. Printable
1. Define the term shape and draw an example. What are the two
types of shapes?
2. Define form. How are shapes different from forms?
3. Define space and explain the difference between
positive and negative space.
Principles of Art: Balance and Proportion
Answer the following questions regarding balance and proportion by clicking
on the image below the question.
4. Look at the examples of balance. Then explain in your
own words what balance means. What are the three types of balance
and their definitions?
5. Define proportion, then click on the link that
reads, “Try your hand at drawing face proportions.” Draw a
face using the guidelines there to get the correct proportions.
Depth and Linear Perspective
There are several ways to create a look of depth in a painting. One of
the most interesting is linear perspective. Go to the following site and
answer the questions below.
6. What is linear perspective?
7. What must an artist do to use linear perspective?
8. Define the following terms that are related to linear perspective:
- horizon line
- orthogonal line
- vanishing point
9. Do the exercise in the purple box in the middle of the page. This exercise
requires you to find the horizon line, orthogonal line, and vanishing
point in Leonardo da Vinci’s painting Annunciation.
10. As you can see, size and distance have something to
do with creating depth. Click on the link below, “Playing Around
with Size and Distance,” and do the exercise there. Which figure
was the correct one?