- Define the term retailing.
- Explain the difference between goods
- Identify different channels of distribution.
- Explain the benefits of retailing.
- Identify some of the tasks of retailers.
- Explain the NAICS categories for the retail industry.
- Name the types of business organization.
- Identify types of retail business ownership.
- Describe how competition affects retail evolution.
- Identify the types of store-based retailers.
- Explain the importance of service retailers.
- Identify types of service retailers.
- Explain multichannel retailing.
- Explain e-tailing.
- Identify elements to include on a retail Web site.
- Identify the types of non-store retailers.
- Explain target markets.
- Discuss market segmentation.
- Explain competitive advantage.
- Describe the types of retail business expenses.
- Explain the importance of business credit.
- Explain types of retail business risks.
- Discuss merchandise plans.
- Describe the components of a merchandise plan.
- Describe merchandise life cycles.
- Explain the receiving process.
- Explain the concept of inventory control.
- Describe inventory systems.
- Explain stock turnover.
- Explain the role of the buyer.
- Determine what to buy.
- Determine quantities to buy.
- Discuss the importance of when to buy.
- Explain factors affecting pricing decisions.
- Define markup and markdown.
- Identify the types of retail locations.
- Explain the difference between a strip center and a mall.
- Define trade areas.
- Explain retail site-selection criteria.
- Explain the importance of traffic for a retail business.
- Explain the importance of store image.
- Discuss the importance of store design.
- Explain the importance of store layout.
- Define visual merchandising.
- Explain the use of visual merchandising in retailing.
- Describe the styles of displays.
- Identify the types of promotion.
- Define promotional mix.
- Identify types of promotions.
- Explain the concept of publicity.
- Identify the categories of advertising.
- Explain the types of advertising.
- Identify the types of advertising media.
- Identify characteristics of an effective retail sales
- Describe tasks a retail sales associate must complete.
- Identify and discuss product information.
- Define customer buying motives and needs.
- Explain the steps of a sale.
- Explain how to overcome customer objections and identify
suggestion selling techniques.
- Define customer service.
- Describe customer-service expectations.
- Explain word-of-mouth communication.
- Identify the employee's role in customer service.
- Explain the importance of employee empowerment and recognition.
- Identify important characteristics of store managers.
- Describe the store manager's role in merchandise management.
- Explain expense control.
- Explain the importance of managing store employees.
- Explain the importance of working with supervisors.
- Explain the importance of positive customer relations.
- Describe career opportunities in retailing.
- Identify personal traits desirable for retailing.
- Identify career information to research.
- Explain career paths.
- Name sources of information about retail careers.
- Describe the ways to apply retail-career information.
- Explain how to make a career plan.
- Describe ways to prepare for a retail career.
- Apply job-search strategies.
- Identify information needed to prepare a résumé.
- Explain how to prepare a résumé.
- Identify references for a résumé.
- Explain how to complete a job application form.
- Describe how to interview for a job.
- Write a follow-up letter after
a job interview.
- Explain the importance of punctuality on
- Explain the importance of accepting responsibility.
- Describe how to foster positive working relationships.
Back to Top