Group Activity Cards
Use groups of 5.
Materials: Wastebasket, paper, masking tape, yard stick
| Shooting Hoops
Ball 5 sheets of paper per group to use as "basketballs." As a class decide what is a reasonable distance away from the wastebasket for students to attempt their "shots." Each group measures out this distance from their wastebasket and uses a piece of masking tape to mark a shot line on the floor. Each group member then takes five shots and records the number of shots made by each person on a sheet of paper. Calculate the mean, median, and mode number of shots made for your group. Points are scored according to the following criteria.
- The team with the highest mean receives 1 point.
- The team with the highest median receives 1 point.
- The team with the highest mode receives 1 point.
- Any team whose median and mean are identical receives 1 point.
- Any team with no mode receives 2 points.
Play several rounds. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins. After the game is over, discuss your strategies, if any, for winning the game.