In this chapter students have learned about the various forms of local government, the services a local government provides to residents of the community, and the challenges of urban growth. As towns and cities grow, officials devise plans such as zoning to guide this growth. Some cities also develop other plans that include the development of specific areas such as historic neighborhoods or parks. In this activity students will explore the plans Pittsburgh has devised for its Downtown area of the city.
Students will visit the Welcome to City Planning page of the Pittsburgh Department of City Planning to learn more about the plans the city has devised for its Downtown area. After exploring the plan, students will answer four questions about what they have learned and will create a development plan for their local community.
- Students will be able to identify the major components of a comprehensive city planning guide.
- Students will be able to create a development plan for their local community.
Student Web Activity Answers
Go to Student Web Activity
- The historic grid patterns created a smaller scale of streets and blocks compared to newer parts of the city and contribute to their pedestrian friendliness.
- The city planners consider art important and have created the Public Art Initiative. New development projects should include art and allow for the integration of art and artists into the planning and construction of these projects.
- Mixed use means a variety of uses of the relatively small, easily walkable area of the Golden Triangle. The area includes major businesses and offices, retail stores, and cultural and entertainment attractions.
- Public open spaces should provide direct access to the streets and buildings that surround them. The standards list minimum requirements for the overall design, trees, seating, landscaping, and even garbage receptacles.
- Students' city planning guides will vary but should include a comprehensive approach that includes businesses, pedestrian use, transportation, and recreation.