Unit 5 Real-World Unit Projects
Problem Solving in Physical Education: Basketball All-Star
Task | Process | Guidance | Resources | Conclusion
- A sports statistician organizes and analyzes data. Your job is to be a sports statistician for the WNBA. You will use measure of central tendency and measures of variation.
- Create a presentation of your findings including graphs.
1a. The table below shoes the average number of points per game certain players from a recent season. Choose intervals and then make a frequency table. Then construct a histogram of the data.
1b. The table shows the average points per game for the Los Angeles Sparks. Determine the probability of them scoring over 80 points in the next season.
||Average Points Per Game
1c. Create a fantasy team of 6 players by researching online WNBA players and their statistics of points per game and rebounds. Choose a data display to support your choice of players.
||Points Per Game
2. Make a poster that contains several graphs. Be sure to include a spreadsheet!
Be creative in all of your work!
- For help with probability and histograms refer to the textbook.
- Information about the WNBA and helpful links are in the resources section. Remember to think about the different aspects of the game of basketball and what is important to make a good team.
Use the internet to research information about the WNBA and histograms.
Great work! Your probability and statistics tool kits likely came in handy with your task. Did you find out some interesting things about the world of basketball? We hope you enjoyed making up your own dream team and now you can see how large a role mathematics plays in understanding in this world.